Social Security Administration (SSA)
Home > Service Organizations
The Social Security, Social Security Disability Insurance and Supplemental Security Income programs are the largest of several Federal programs that could provide assistance to people with disabilities.
General Information (SSA)
The Social Security, Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI ), and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) programs are the largest of several Federal programs that could provide assistance to people with disabilities. These programs are administered by the Social Security Administration. In this page, we will focus on SSI for people with disabilities.
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) pays only for total disability. No benefits are payable for partial disability or for short-term disability. "Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. You must meet the following criteria to qualify:
• You cannot do work that you did before;
• We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
• Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.
Social Security Administration provides the following services to people with disabilities:
• The Social Security Disability Insurance pays benefits to you and certain members of your family if you are "insured," meaning that you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes.
• Supplemental Security Income pays benefits based on financial need.
• Social Security's Representative Payment Program provides financial management for the Social Security and SSI payments of our beneficiaries who are incapable of managing their Social Security or SSI payments.
• Medical- Disability insurance
In order to apply, you must fill out and submit three things:
• Disability Benefit Application ( https://secure.ssa.gov/iCLM/dib )
• Adult Disability Report ( https://secure.ssa.gov/apps6z/radr/radr-fe)
• Authorization to Disclose Information to the Social Security Administration
Social Security Administration
Office of Public Inquiries
Windsor Park Building
6401 Security Blvd.
Baltimore, MD 21235
TTY number 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.