Home > Disability Categories
In the U.S., most states offer newborn hearing screening, and if there is a sign of hearing problem, other tests are performed.
What are the causes of hearing loss?
• Otitis media
• Congenital factors
• Acquired hearing loss
Signs and symptoms of hearing loss
• Not reacting to loud noises
• Not responding to other voices
• A child with otitis media may also pull or rub an ear, be constantly irritable for no apparent reason, become inattentive, not understands directions, ask others to speak louder, or have a fever or ear pain.
• Ear tubes
• Hearing aids
• Other hearing devices
• Assistive technology
• National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities
• The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)